UPDATED for 2011: Whether you pluck your own apples fresh from the tree or bag’em from the bin, you have plenty of local orchards to choose from in the Mahoning Valley.
September is upon us, so it time to start thinking about all things apples: cider, homemade pies, fritters, jellies, salads, marinades and sauces infinitum. A family visit to the apple orchard has become a fall tradition in Northeast Ohio and AllAbout Apples.com lists over 100 orchards and farms to choose from. Orchards can be found in every county of the Mahoning Valley – so you won’t have far to travel. (Orange Pippin and All About Apples have merged their two websites under the Orange Pippin domain. Check out the new interactive Orchard Map. Awesome.)
Finally, don’t miss the annual Johnny Appleseed Festival at the Columbiana County Fairgrounds in Lisbon, Ohio, and in Trumbull County be sure to visit the The Hartford Apple Festival, or the Lordstown Apple Cider Festival and 5K Run, all three slated for the weekend of Saturday, Sept. 17th, and Sunday Sept. 18th, 2011.
Mahoning Valley Apple Orchards
- Hartford Orchards, Inc., 6951 St Rt 305 NE Box 58, Hartford, OH 44424 Phone: (330) 772-8511
- Dillon Fruit Farm, 36108 Kelch Rd., Lisbon, OH 44432 Phone: (330) 424-5169
- Hays Orchard, 3622 Middleton Rd., Columbiana, OH 44408 Phone: (330) 482-2924
- Millrock Orchard Inc.,4401 Millrock Rd., New Waterford, OH 44445 Phone: (330) 457-7571
- Norkus Orchard, 36500 Perry Grange Rd., Salem, OH 44460 Phone: (330) 337-0313
- Peace Valley Orchards, Inc., 5667 Adams Rd., Rogers, OH 44455 Phone: (330) 426-9695
Open: July ’til May; Mon – Sat 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Sun 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Description: Our grandfather started our orchard back in 1948. We are the third generation of Simmons’ to grow fruit at our location. We have 240 acres of apples, 17 acres of peaches, as well as pears, plums, and nectarines.
Apples: We are the home of the Buckeye Gala, Golden Glory (Golden Delicious), Dan – Dee Red, and Law Spur Rome. We also grow 240 acres of other apples like Golden and Red Delicious, Macintosh, Lodi, Tydemanred, Paulared, Honey crisp, Jonathan, Jonagold, Northern Spy, Melrose, Stayman Winesap, Fuji, and Granny Smith.
- Vincent’s Orchards, 29737 Mountz Rd., Salem, OH 44460 Phone: (330) 222-1790
- Haus Cider Mill, 6742 W Calla Rd., Canfield, OH 44406, Phone: (330) 533-5305
- Huffman Fruit Farm, 13075 Lisbon Rd., Salem, OH 44460 Phone: (330) 533-5700
- Less & Less Orchards, 12523 Washingtonville Rd., Salem, OH 44460 Phone: (330) 533-6387 or (330) 533-6387
Description: Pick your own apples mid-September through October
- Snyders Orchard, 12200 N Bandy Rd Rt 4, Alliance, OH 44601 Phone: (330) 584-6922
- Stahl’s Orchard and Market,10676 Johnson Rd., North Benton, OH 44449 Phone:(330) 584-2077
- White House Fruit Farm Inc., 9249 St Rt 62, Canfield, OH 44406 Phone:(330) 533-4161