Mahoning Valley Apple Pickers Guide. 2012 Update.
Pick your own apples fresh from the tree or bag’em from the bin — it’s apples aplenty from our Mahoning Valley orchards.
September is in full swing, a time when our taste buds turn to all things apples: cider, homemade pies, fritters, jellies, salads, marinades and sauces infinitum. A visit to the apple orchard is a fall tradition for many families in Northeast Ohio and there’s over 100 orchards and farms to choose from. Check out the Orange Pippin domain with its new interactive Ohio Orchard Map. And the folks at OhioApples.com have lists of Ohio’s orchards by region and county.
- Coming back this month is the annual Johnny Appleseed Festival (September 15 and 16) in historic downtown Lisbon, Ohio;
- In Trumbull County be sure to visit the Lordstown Apple Cider Festival slated for the weekend of September 14-16.
- The Hartford Apple Festival also gets underway in Trumbull Co. September 21-23.
- Next month, for those willing to travel a bit further, The Burton Apple Butter Festival is a great destination for apple lovers (October 14-15).
Mahoning Valley Apple Orchards
- Hartford Orchards, Inc., 6951 Ohio Rt. 305 NE Box 58, Hartford, OH 44424 (find) Phone: (330) 772-8511
- Dillon Fruit Farm, 36108 Kelch Rd., Lisbon, OH 44432 (find) Phone: (330) 424-5169
- Hays Orchard, 3622 Middleton Rd., Columbiana, OH 44408 (find) Phone: (330) 482-2924
- Millrock Orchard Inc.,4401 Millrock Rd., New Waterford, OH 44445 (find) Phone: (330) 457-7571
- Norkus Orchard, 36500 Perry Grange Rd., Salem, OH 44460 (find) Phone: (330) 337-0313
- Peace Valley Orchards, Inc., 5667 Adams Rd., Rogers, OH 44455 (find) Phone: (330) 426-9695
Open: July ’til May; Mon – Sat 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Sun 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Description: Our grandfather started our orchard back in 1948. We are the third generation of Simmons’ to grow fruit at our place. We have 240 acres of apples, 17 acres of peaches, as well as pears, plums, and nectarines.
Apples: We are the home of the Buckeye Gala, Golden Glory (Golden Delicious), Dan – Dee Red, and Law Spur Rome. We also grow 240 acres of other apples like Golden and Red Delicious, Macintosh, Lodi, Tydemanred, Paulared, Honey crisp, Jonathan, Jonagold, Northern Spy, Melrose, Stayman Winesap, Fuji, and Granny Smith.
- Vincent’s Orchards, 29737 Mountz Rd., Salem, OH 44460 (find) Phone: (330) 222-1790
- Haus Cider Mill, 6742 W Calla Rd., Canfield, OH 44406 (find) Phone: (330) 533-5305
- Huffman Fruit Farm, 13075 Lisbon Rd., Salem, OH 44460 (find) Phone: (330) 533-5700
- Less & Less Farm, 12523 Washingtonville Rd., Salem, OH 44460 (find) Phone: (330) 533-6387 or (330) 533-6387
Description: Pick your own apples mid-September through October
- Snyders Orchard, 12200 N Bandy Rd Rt 4, Alliance, OH 44601 (find) Phone: (330) 584-6922
- Stahl’s Orchard and Market,10676 Johnson Rd., North Benton, OH 44449 (find) Phone:(330) 584-2077
- White House Fruit Farm Inc., 9249 St Rt 62, Canfield, OH 44406 (find) Phone:(330) 533-4161